She has to have a scan tomorrow of her heart and other organs to see what it is. They are also looking for cancer.
If it is her heart, depending on the state of it, it might be controllable up to a point with medication. But it would mean her going for regular appointments at the vet to check progress. Also, if it is her heart, the eye operation will be risky, maybe too risky and that is the thing that is causing her pain. The vet said it's possible that if her heart is bad, we could just keep her eye more comfortable with eye drops.
Not all cats respond to the heart medication. And even if they do, especially if they are old, they haven't usually got long to live and they tend to deteriorate very rapidly.
I can't find the words at the moment. I know I don't know yet how bad it is, but I was so hoping it would be the thyroid thing.
I don't want the end of her life to be a series of trips to the vet. But how do I know whether it's the right thing to choose to have her put to sleep if it is so bad that it would be like that?
I shouldn't think about that yet, but I can't help it.
I'm trying to take one step at a time. I ring the vet tomorrow around 4pm and see what they've found. I asked the vet to please, when it came to it, tell me what she really thought the best thing to do was, totally from Whiskey's point of view. I don't care how I feel about it, I just want her to either be relatively comfortable or if she isn't, then I would have to made that hard decision. The vet is very nice - I trust her to tell me it straight.
I don't know how I'm going to get through the night. It's weird enough without her here, but now I know that it isn't her thyroid and they're looking for heart disease or cancer, I feel like I'm going to shatter.